Latvian Police Seize Crypto Worth $126K in Bust of Suspected Cybercrime Ring
www.coindesk.com 23 July 2020 05:30, UTC
Reading time: ~1 m
Latvian state police said they had dismantled an organized cybercrime ring, seizing over 110,000 euros ($126,926) in cryptocurrencies from the alleged perpetrators.
- Police said Monday they had confiscated 110,000 euros-worth of bitcoin, ether, XRP and tether from the group.
- Additionally, over 12 raids they seized 280,000 euros ($323,084) and $37,000 in cash, 11 properties and three cars.
- The gang is alleged to have engaged in “large-scale" money laundering from 2015 through 2020.
- Officials arrested and charged three suspects with committing cyber fraud, procuring reams of private account data on the dark web, laundering money through gold and cryptocurrency, and targeting at least 1,000 victims around the world.
- In a press statement, Latvian authorities declined to elaborate on the crime syndicate’s fraud tactics, saying that information was sensitive to the ongoing investigation.
- Criminal proceedings began in late February, they said.
- If convicted the suspects face three to 12 years in prison.
Also read: The DOJ Wants to Hire a Crypto Crime Attorney Adviser
Back to the list
Latvian Authorities Seize $126,000 in Cryptocurrency Bust
www.cryptoglobe.com22 July 2020 20:02, UTC
Authorities In Latvia Hit Cybercrime Syndicate, Seize $127k Worth Of Cryptos
zycrypto.com22 July 2020 09:09, UTC
Latvian police seize $890,000 in assets in Bitcoin bust
decrypt.co22 July 2020 08:18, UTC