GeckoCon Insights: DeFi’s Next Phase of Growth Will Come From Solana, Avalanche, and Other Chains
- Today is the first day of CoinGecko’s 2022 GeckoCon which will run from the 14th to the 15th of July (9 am to 3 pm EST).
- This year’s GeckoCon will focus on how Web3 will empower the decentralized future.
- One of the sessions today discussed the future of DeFi.
- One key takeaway from the speakers is that the next growth of DeFi will most likely come from Solana, Avalanche, and other chains.
- Ethereum will remain at the core of smart contract development and DeFi, but other blockchain projects could chip away at its dominance due to their focus on marketing and advertising.
The highly anticipated GeckoCon 2022 Virtual Conference hosted by the team from CoinGecko, kicked off successfully earlier today. The two-day virtual conference will run from the 14th to the 15th of July ( 9 am to 3 pm EST) and will focus on how Web3 will empower the decentralized future.
Geckos! Ya'll ready for #GeckoCon? 🤩
— CoinGecko (@coingecko) July 13, 2022
DeFi’s Next Growth Phase will likely come from Solana, Avalanche, and Other Chains.
One of GeckoCon’s sessions today, titled ‘What’s Next for DeFi?’ discussed current events impacting the decentralized finance industry and its possible growth in the near-term and long-term future.
Speakers of this session included Michelle Sun, a Core Contributor at Serum; Ivan Gbi, a Core Contributor at Gearbox; 0x Murloc, the Co-founder at Trader Joe XYZ; and George Harrap, the Co-founder of Step Finance.
The speakers provided valuable insights into the impact of UST’s collapse on Defi, Three Arrows Capital’s effects on the industry, the future of algorithmic stablecoins, the interconnectedness of CeFi (centralized finance), and DeFi, and more.
One key takeaway from the discussion was their forecast that the next phase of growth in DeFi would most likely come from Solana, Avalanche, and other chains. They pointed out that Ethereum will continue to be the dominant smart contract platform and preferred destination for major projects. However, new users will likely enter into DeFi through other chains as they have invested heavily in marketing and advertising.
Mr. Murloc pointed out that there is a higher probability of a new DeFi user seeing an ad from Solana, Avalanche, and other chains when compared to seeing one from the Ethereum team. He said:
I’d be pretty surprised if like in five years from now, Avalanche and Solana like were not significant chains…I’d be pretty shocked if Ethereum was not the dominant chain in the future. I think that we will continue to see a lot of leading innovation around smart contracts and different kinds of mechanisms whether it’s tokenomics and growth hacking.
…having said that, where do like the next one billion user come from. My guess would be that it is going to come from other chains…because the growth requires marketing…I don’t see too many Ethereum billboards…and this is being done today by all the newer chains right now. You have the Crypto.com arena and not the Ethereum Foundation arena.
GeckoCon 2022 To Feature Over 150 Keynote Speakers.
To note is that GeckoCon will feature over 150 Keynote speakers, including:
- CoinGecko’s Co-founder, Bobby Ong
- CoinGecko’s CEO and Co-founder, TM Lee
- Axie Infinity’s COO and Co-founder, Alexander Larsen
- Rariable CEO and Founder, Alexei Falin
- MyEtherWallet’s CEO and Founder, Kosala Hemachandra
- The Sandbox’s COO and Co-founder, Sebastian Borget
- Nansen CEO, Alex Svanevik
- 6th Man Ventures Co-founder, Mike Dudas
- ShapeShift DAO Co-founder, Jon ShapeShift
- The Block’s VP of Research, Larry Cermak
- and more
Back to the list