Cardano Vasil Upgrade Postponed, New Timeline Revealed
In the latest blog post, the software company behind the development of Cardano revealed having a few outstanding items to run in a bid to ensure everything is working as expected.
- Nigel Hemsley, head of delivery and products, said the team would need a few more days то re-evaluate the latest status.
- The previous target date for the mainnet hard fork was slated to be on June 29.
“The IOG engineering team is extremely close to finalizing the core work, with just seven bugs still outstanding to complete the hard fork work, with none currently ranked as ‘severe’. After some consideration, we have agreed NOT to send the hard fork update proposal to the testnet today to allow more time for testing.”
- IOG and the Cardano Foundation have collectively agreed on a new target date to hard fork the testnet at the end of June. Upon completion, the expected timeline for Vasil to hit mainnet will be in the last week of July.
- The decision comes after rumors about a potential delay in the upgrade started floating.
- While responding to the news, Tim Harrison, vice president of community and ecosystem said that while everything was progressing as planned, there were a few factors before the hard fork combinator event actually takes place.
- The main objective of the Vasil hard fork is to enhance scaling by including pipelining that will improve block diffusion.
- The upgrade falls into the Basho scaling era of Cardano’s development.
- Cardano founder, Charles Hoskinson, had earlier touted that Vasil would be a “major major major major” event for the ecosystem.
Back to the list